Friday, May 30, 2008

woo woo first commit! and first impressions.

I have just committed the first contribution from Milena who is working on type checking for Swift.

For what ended up as a very simple change (11 lines of pretty simple code) it has taken quite a long time to get it into our SVN - the basic code was written some weeks ago (before the official start) but we've had plenty of fun since then getting test cases to pass (this year I seem to be tripping on test cases more than I have in the past) and the like - new-to-the-project developer things that we won't have to do again for the rest of the summer.

I've helped mentor students before, but always students that "belong" to one academic researcher or another; it is an interesting and refreshing change to have a student working on a project that I suggested, rather than be supporting somebody else's project.

So I am pleased.

No comments: